INT - The RS500 Times
July 9, 2020, 4 p.m.
Dear fellow 500 sailor,
Unfortunately, many sailing events have had to make way for the virus in recent months. Our wonderful 500 class was not spared either. As time goes by we try to pick up normal life again. Today many of you can hoist the sails again, albeit under strict conditions. Behind the scenes, our international board continued to work motivated on the class structure and the competition schedule for the upcoming months.
Let's have a closer look to the (near) future!
- Worlds 2020 Travemuende, Germany < CANCELLED > : On behalf of the entire 500 community I would like to thank our German friends for all the efforts made over the past few months to ensure that this event could take place under the best conditions. Unfortunately the virus threw a spanner in the works. To quote Terminator: "I (we) will be back!".
- e-Worlds 2020 (or RS500 eSailing World Chamionship) < 3-14/08/2020 > : The international board members are preparing a virtual RS500 Worlds via the online sailing race simulator Virtual Regatta, a milestone for our RS500 International Sailing Class. Be prepared and win a wildcard for the World Championships 2021 in Italy! Stay tuned, more info will follow soon.
- BENELUX Championships Scharendijke, Netherlands < 15-16/08/2020 > : Finally, our first international racing event will take place in Netherlands (Lake Grevelingen). Click here for more information!
- Open Dutch Nationals Bruinisse, Netherlands < 19-20/09/2020 > : Same lake, different spot in the Netherlands. Be there or be square. Click here for more information!
- Worlds 2021 Lake Como, Italy < 02-06/08/2021 > : The Italian national board is in full prepartion of the next World Championships at lake Como. Save the dates!
- Worlds 2022 Weymouth, UK < 01-05/08/2022 > : The 500's will land again at this extraordinary sailing spot and will join the fantastic RS Games beside the RS Aero and RS Tera!
The AGM 2020 will take place on Sunday October 18th at 3:00 PM CEST. Please submit your agenda items before Tuesday September 15th to RS500secretary@gmail.com. Two international board members should be replaced in 2021, if you are interested in supporting our beloved class, please send a message to RS500chairman@gmail.com.
Last but not least I would like to invite all 500 sailors to pay the yearly contribution to the RS500 International Sailing Class, either through their national class organisation or, by the absence of a national class structure, directly to the international class. I would like to draw everyone's attention to the fact that, despite the COVID-19 measures taken, our class is obliged to continue to pay its annual costs (e.g. World Sailing fee). The RS500 contribution is € 17,00 per sailor. Please, find more info in the attached document!
Stay strong together, happy sailing!
International Chairman RS500 International Class Association